Grape bunch

Can Dogs Eat Grapes? VERY Important Info Inside!

Can dogs eat grapes? Even though they seem harmless, grapes and raisins are among the most toxic foods for dogs. Even one might have detrimental effects on their health.

No matter what breed, age, or gender a dog is, grapes are very poisonous to them. Ongoing study is being done to determine why.

There is no safe quantity of raisins or grapes for your dog to eat.

Why Can’t Dogs Eat Grapes?

Kidney damage is associated with grape toxicity.

The fruit may cause abrupt renal failure and possibly death if consumed.

Unknown toxin in grapes prevents dogs from metabolizing their tannins, flavonoids, and monosaccharides.

This is possibly the main cause of canine grape poisoning.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

No. Grapes are very poisonous to dogs and have the potential to induce severe renal failure all of a sudden.

Due to the dried fruit’s increased concentration of nutrients, raisins are just as dangerous, if not more so.

Can Dogs Eat Green Grapes?

Dogs run the danger of developing kidney failure if they consume grapes in any shape or form, regardless of the kind of grape.

Grapes of any form are poisonous to dogs even in little amounts.

Additionally, you shouldn’t feed your dog any grape-related goods.

This includes:

  • Jellies
  • Juices
  • Jams

Dogs may be poisoned from grape products.

What If Your Dog Eats Grapes?

Because there is not a well-established quantity of grapes that is toxic to dogs, even very little quantities of the fruit might be dangerous to your pet.

For instance, consuming even a little quantity of grapes—0.3 ounces per lb of body weight—could result in a variety of symptoms that are associated with food poisoning.

You should call your veterinarian right away if your dog eats even a small quantity of grapes. Instead of waiting for severe symptoms that may be deadly.

They can possibly force your dog to vomit the grapes out, to be safe.

Symptons of grape toxicity include:

  • Nausea
  • High blood pressure
  • Vomiting

It is advisable to cause vomiting if you don’t know what food your dog has eaten.

However, you should take your dog to the doctor as soon as you can if it has breathing issues or displays any other indications of concern.

Since there is no cure for grape poisoning, your dog needs immediate medical attention.

Right after consumption, the veterinarian may induce vomiting.

It will aid in the dog’s digestive system’s removal of the grapes.

Additionally, your veterinarian could advise feeding your dog activated charcoal.

This will lessen the amount of toxins that are absorbed in the intestines.

Symptoms of Grape Poisoning in Dogs

Can dogs eat grapes?

Within 24 hours after eating grapes, acute symptoms appear.

Weakness and appetite loss are the first symptoms of grape intoxication.

Abdominal discomfort, uremis breathing and nause are severe renal failure symptoms that become apparent 24 to 48 hours after consuming the fruit (fishy odor).

Here are some other indications of grape poisoning:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Excessive urination
  • Dehydration
  • Seizures
  • Mouth Ulcers
  • Anorexia

If you think your dog has eaten anything grape -related, and notice any of these signs – take your dog immediately to your local vet.

How Soon After Eating Grapes Can a Dog Get Sick?

Symptoms may appear quickly or develop over time. Even

If your dog just ate one or two grapes or raisins, you should call your veterinarian immediately, even if there are no evident symptoms.

Your dog’s greatest chance of preventing long-term injury and death is to get treatment as soon as possible.

Can Grapes Kill Dogs?

Yes. The worst problem that can happen from eating grapes is damage to the kidneys.

Without treatment right away, it can cause health problems for the rest of your dogs life, and could even kill them within days.

How Do I Prevent Grape Poisoning in My Dog?

Dogs should never eat grapes, raisins, currants, or sultanas.

Make sure your dog doesn’t eat bread with raisins, grape jam, grape jelly or juice.

Keep in mind that certain protein bars contain raisins. These are also very toxic to your dog.

Keep these foods clear from your pet in order to avoid grape poisoning in dogs.

Make sure guests from family and friends understand the dangers of feeding grapes or grape-based items to dogs.

How Vets Treat Grape Toxicity in Dogs

Your veterinarian could attempt to make them vomit.

The leftover poisons may then be absorbed and any grapes or raisins that are still in your dog’s stomach may be bound using activated charcoal.

Veterinarians often aim to boost kidney function and wash out the toxins by utilizing IV fluid treatment to treat renal failure.

Medications like anti-nausea drugs and gastric protectants, which prevent or cure stomach ulcers, will also be used to treat your dog’s symptoms.

For the veterinarian to properly treat your dog and do bloodwork to check the health of their kidneys, you should plan on keeping them in the hospital for at least 48 hours.

Even if your dog’s condition was just mild or moderate, they can have impaired kidney function and still be able to recover with the right medical attention.

Scroll to Top