Mochi balls

Can Dogs Eat Mochi? Safe or Too Sweet?

A lot of sweets and sugary foods are generally safe for dogs to consume.

But others should be avoided at all costs. 

What about mochi? Can dogs eat mochi?

First, let’s take a look at what mochi is.

What is Mochi?

Japanese rice cakes known as mochi were initially brought to the country around 300 BC.

They are chewy, sweet, elastic, and sticky. Its size and form are similar to a little spherical ball.

Making and eating mochi are common Japanese customs.

When it comes to the Japanese New Year, mochi used to be a sacred treat of great significance.

Although it is now consumed year-round by many people from all backgrounds around the globe, it still has a special place in Japanese culture.

When eating this in the past, the Japanese would also pray for wealth and health.

What is Mochi Made of?

Short-grain glutinous rice is often used to make the chewy and sweet rice cake ball because it provides mochi its chewy texture.

The word Mochi is derived from this sticky rice, also known as mochigome or mochi rice.

This sticky short-grain rice was traditionally soaked in water for at least 10 to 12 hours. Glutinous rice benefits from an even, soft texture and greater taste from an overnight soak in water.

You then steam it to give it an elastic and silky texture.

It is soft, elastic, and sticky, as you’ll discover.

The rice is then pressed and pounded using a large mallet and a mortar while being added water to get the proper texture and consistency.

Mochi is made with:

  • Rice flour
  • Water
  • Corn starch
  • Sugar

Depending on how the flavors and textures come out, different ingredients are added.

Today, there are many different kinds of Mochi that taste and look different. 

Here is a look at the ingredients used in a traditional mochi ball.

Ingredients Used in Mochi Balls

As we’ve already said, the ingredients in mochi and mochi balls are bad for dogs.

Let’s look at some of them and see why they might be bad for your dog’s health.

Sweetened Red Bean Paste

Can dogs eat mochi

Dogs can eat red beans that are just cooked.

The beans are full of fiber, which helps dogs digest their food.

But people say that dogs shouldn’t eat sweetened red bean paste.

Also, sweetened red bean paste is made with salt, sugar, and red beans.

Next, either dark brown sugar, white sugar, or both is added. 

This gives the red bean paste its sweet taste.

So, dogs that eat snacks or other foods with sugar and salt could get dental problems, diabetes, and pancreatitis.

Sweet Rice Flour

Because it poses the risk of choking, sweet rice flour should always be used in only small amounts.

Remember that sticky rice has a somewhat greater starch content than other varieties of rice, and is the source of sweet rice flour.

Sweet rice flour isn’t toxic. But it’s also not recommended for your dog. Even if it is gluten free.

Small amounts of sweet rice flour won’t hurt your dog, but they shouldn’t be fed this often.

Almond, coconut, quinoa, and oat flours are all good options.

Green Tea Powder

Making mochi balls requires green tea powder, a crucial ingredient. However, be aware that not all green tea powder is actually matcha.

A light olive green hue may be seen in the green tea powder.

Green tea, which has caffeine, is what gives its hue.

Green tea powder really has more caffeine than conventional loose tea leaves or tea bags.

As a result, flavoring mochi balls with green tea powder may be harmful to dogs.

In such case, you need to refrain from giving it to them.

Consuming caffeine may make dogs agitated, pant, hyperactive, etc. (1)

Cornstarch and Sugar

Mochi balls are coated with cornstarch to keep them from clinging to one another.

It is a fantastic substitute for dogs that are sensitive to maize and cornflour and has a naturally sweet taste.

Additionally, mochi balls are given a sweet taste by using sugar.

It is mixed in with the water and sweet rice flour before baking.

However, the taste of sweet rice is modest and not inherently sweet; it has a faint milky flavor.

Mochi balls shouldn’t be given to dogs since too much sugar is added to give them a sweet surface.

Excessive sugar consumption may cause diabetes, nausea, weight gain, and a number of other health issues.

Can Dogs Eat Mochi?

No. Due to its high sugar content and the fact that dogs have trouble digesting sticky rice flour, mochi shouldn’t be fed to dogs.

Therefore, it is preferable to choose alternatives that are better for their health and pose less of a threat to their wellbeing.

Although mochi isn’t toxic to dogs, it still can cause problems for them.

Is Mochi Bad For Dogs?

Yes.It’s possible that dogs may become sick from eating mochi if the ingredients weren’t picked out very carefully.

It is not only hazardous due to the fact that it is composed of sticky ingredients, but also due to the fact that it is thick and chewy, which makes it a potential choking hazard.

Mochi, on the other hand, is difficult for canines to adequately digest.

This might cause the dog to become distended and put stress on its internal organs.

In addition, there is a possibility that your dog can get pancreatitis or respiratory issues if you continue to feed it to them on a regular basis.

Can Dogs Eat Mochi Ice Cream?

Offering mochi ice cream to dogs, even as a treat, is not advised.

If you make a habit of it, even while it won’t injure your dog right away, it will have negative effects.

Sugar is a harmful substance for puppies, because it has high sugar content.

Mochi ice cream is dangerous to dogs because it is prepared with ingredients that are similar to those used to make mochi, such as sugar, rice dough, and green tea leaf powder.

Conclusion

Hopefully this article has shed some light on why feeding dogs mochi is not a great idea.

Although you may be tempted, you should try to resist giving your this treat.

Despite the fact that dogs will virtually always eat anything, it’s your job to maintain their health.

Dogs shouldn’t eat any sweets that include caffeine, sugar, starch etc.

Mochi isn’t directly toxic. So, if they accidentally eat a little bit, they’ll probably be fine.

However they are a choking hazard and can cause other issues.

So, do your best to keep mochi out of their reach.

Scroll to Top